Any time you do a project, theres a question of what to do with the leftover fabric. In the case of the banners that i just produced, I purchased enough “extra”, and managed the fabric diring banner construction carefully enough that I’d be able to produce a sash for a member of the Order to wear during their rituals. That sash is the green one, here, which is about 112” end to end or about 56” shoulder to hip. I also made the matching sash in blue for the second degree in the order, the Bardic Grade. It more or less follows the design for a sash called a deacon’s stole (from the Latin stola, meaning a scarf or wrap).
Any time I make a sash like this, I have to buy two yards of fabric. But two and a half or three yards of fabric is enough for two sashes of the same color. So I frequently make four sashes at the same time — one to send to a customer, and one to keep in stock (unless I have one in stock already, in which case it goes out more promptly to a customer.
The banners, of course, went out yesterday to their commissioner. They should arrive tomorrow… but Monday at the latest. I’m eager to find out if the customer likes them. In order to ship them, I made a bag to ship the two banners in; I then put the two banners with decorated sides together, and rolled them; the two banners then went into the bag with a set of directions on care and feeding of a set of wild banners (Latin name Vexillum insigniae) that can nonetheless be tamed with a fair degree of certainty through patience, love and care.
This business of being in business for myself has got some growing pains to work through. It makes me nervous and a little wonky. But so far it’s working. I have a commission or two a week, at least in the period from September to October, and I’m sure new projects will show up soon for my sewing machine, either through the Etsy shop or here. It’s begun. So far, so good.