It’s a slow process to go from “some fabric” to “a banner” sometimes.
At its core, the work of appliqué looks something like this:
- Cut up a bunch of pieces of fabric and interfacing.
- Glue the interfacing to the fabric with steam heat.
- Fold the pieces of fabric into the shapes determined by the interfacing.
- Pin the fabric pieces to other fabric, in the shapes you’ve decided look best.
- Press frequently.
Less frequently included in such lists of steps is the seventh step (which actually goes between all of the other steps, namely, “pray”. There is a lot of stuff to get right in a banner, particularly a banner which is intended to serve as a magical emblem of the light of the West (Sunset) passing through the door/trilithon into the world we inhabit — an image of knowledge, power and peace. AWEN.
So here we are. The first of these banners is now essentially complete. The next step is a little harder.
You see, this banner (like so many others) has tassels down along the bottom. And either tabs or a slot across the top. But a banner like this is often assembled rather like a bag — two big black panels, one with imagery on it, and one without. The two panels are sewn together, outsides-in, and then turned inside out. The edge will then get top-stitched to help hold it together, and maybe tied/button-hole sewn in a couple of places to keep it from looking baggy.
It’ll be great.
But those tassels along the bottom edge? They have to get sewn into the inside-out seam, to secure them quite thoroughly and to hide the loops that hold them together. That can’t be done early, and it can’t be done until the UPS fairy (or the USPS fairy, who tends to be more reliable) delivers the tassels themselves from the magical land of New York City (and M&J Trims). So now, we wait. And we check in with the commissioner about how they’re going to be hung — on a rod with a triangular cord, or depended from a rod by banner tabs. It’s an important question, and we’ll leave it to the commissioner to decide.
And now I get to figure out, and reverse-engineer, how I made the overlapping green and yellow squares on the banner of the East. It wasn’t very satisfactory, as I recall. I THINK that I made two large squares of green and yellow fabric, and then interleaved them with strategic cuts. It was very wasteful of fabric, and didn’t turn out well (or not as well as I’d like on a professional job like this one). So we ponder new solutions for a while.