I’ve been working with the #StrategicSorcery community (led by Jason Miller) community on and off over the last few years, and I’ve decided that I’m actually going to be doing this project here.
The idea is that on each of the 31 days of January, we’re to do some magical work that uses one of these 31 types of magical work in the illustration at right. As Kalagni of BlueFlame Magic points out, the list asks for a lot in terms of technique and skill and development, but doesn’t ask for a lot in the way of cultural or specific spiritual framework. Essentially, it asks the practitioner to work on putting this specific type of material basis or process to work within their own tradition (which for me is primarily DOGD work at this point, though it contains elements of the work of Rufus Opus).
In any case, new years’ is a good time to join up with the Strategic Sorcery course, and to do the opening work of this practice; but if you’re one of the magically-minded readers of this blog, guess what? You can do these 31 days of magic without being a member of the Strategic Sorcery community.
And guess what? If you’re a teacher, attracted to the Maker-y-minded stuff on this blog, you can do the Strategic Sorcery 31 days of magic, too. Our profession is, too often, considered to be very much stuck in our heads, in our minds. But perhaps, for these 31 days of January, you can experiment with Making and building things with your hands, and discover what that does in your mind. On January 1, light a candle and consider what that means. On January 2, consider the list of things you have to do in the coming year. On January 3, put on perfume or put olive oil on yourself and declare some specific plans with regard to your work as a Maker and a teacher. Each day, see how you can incorporate more Making, and more hands-on experience into your life’s work.
It’s worth a try. Leave me a comment to tell me where to link to; and I’ll be linking back to this post as the 31 days go on.
- Petition Papers
- Anoint Self With Oil
- Charge an Item of Jewelry
- Cord Magic
- Charge an item of clothing
- Poppet or doll magic
- charge a crystal or a stone
- Use a single herb or flower (done on January 12)
- Brew a potion (done on Jan. 11)
- Use a specific color as the focus [done on Jan. 9]
- Use a seal (e.g., of Solomon) [done on Jan. 10]
- Use an item from an animal
- Create a talisman (Jan. 14)
- Use a box in a spell (Jan. 15)
- Use something combustible (written Jan. 17 — see day 29 below for Jan. 16)
- Have a magical bath (Jan. 28)
- Create an elemental/servitor (Jan. 18)
- Use Tarot/Playing Cards (Jan. 19)
- Create a sigil (Jan. 20)
- Create a jar spell (Jan. 21)
- Sex Magic (Jan. 22)
- Lay a powder somewhere (Jan. 23)
- Use a mirror in a spell (Jan. 24)
- Create a magical incense (Jan. 25)
- Chalk a sigil/sign somewhere (Jan. 26)
- Use a found object in a spell (Jan. 27)
- Create a mojo hand (Jan. 29)
- Use some “personal concerns” (written/lost/rewritten Jan. 16)
- Cook a magical meal (Jan. 31)
- Free Day — choose your own! (Jan. 30)