My students tend to be visual, auditory, and social learners, and I’ve been wrestling with this reality for a while now. I handed out ‘worksheets’ to my students the other day, to prepare for their exams. But really, it’s not very helpful to them, because filling out information on a worksheet doesn’t help them study as much as I think it does.
So yesterday, I made four podcasts. Each of them contains an audio track designed to help them fill out one of the four review sheets for the final exam, and compares ancient history with modern times. Food for thought, if you will. A couple of students listened to one of them last night, and I hope that the other six students will listen to the others today and in the next few days.
I was amazed at how easy it was to create a podcast. GarageBand made it incredibly easy, actually. It was so easy, it took a while to realize that easy did not mean good. The last time I made one, I didn’t have a script, and I merely extemporized. It was terrible, even when I added pictures to the audio recording. This time, I wrote a script, and then recorded that. These four podcasts were too long, but I think I have a better idea of how long to make the script, and how to cut it up with several stingers and musical accompaniment.