Of course, just because you have a disaster in the day, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to end with a success. For me, that means doing a project at which I know I can succeed. Given that I made the pattern for these aprons, I had a pretty good idea how to proceed on this project, and how to succeed at it. How hard could it be?
The fabric came from Robert Kaufman (D#3483,in production in Thailand between 2002-2010). I like it. It’s not as fussy as a pinstripe, but the print is parallel to the selvedges, which means that it’s easy to make the stripes run vertical on the aprons. I had enough fabric to fold in fourths from selvedge to selvedge, and then in half from cut end to cut end. I got four apron fronts out of it, and I used a white Kona cotton for the backing fabric.
The ribbon was another bargain bin score, from the same place as the Kaufman fabric. I cut it to 24″ lengths for the first two, then discovered that the ribbon had already been cut to 50″ lengths. I made the neck strap myself out of some of the leftover fabric.
There isn’t quite enough of the fabric left over to make a pocket for each apron, unfortunately. The pocket would help to stabilize the interior of the apron, and give a person a place to carry their egg timer or a pencil or their phone.
But it feels good to make these, given the challenges of the pattern earlier today.
Under normal circumstances, I’d say that these would be on the Etsy store later this evening. But in truth, I made these as gifts for some friends, and so they won’t be for sale. If you’d like an apron, though, I’ll happily make you one. Just be aware, this fabric is no longer available; you’ll have to choose a different kind of pinstripe.