For the 31 Days of Magic project from the Strategic Sorcery community, today is about charging a crystal or a stone.
I wound up doing three. The first was a plain rock, which I picked up in a place that’s important to me. I clipped off about 20″ of wire, fairly-thin copper gauge, and wrapped the stone using some tutorials I found through Pinterest and YouTube.
It was not very complicated. Having my grandfather’s wire-cutters and several pairs of needle-nose and snub-nose pliers helped, as well. The results were — not perfect. But not bad.
I feel it’s important to say that I’ve never done this before. This is the first time I’ve ever created a wire wrapping for a stone.
The second was this … aventurine? I genuinely forget what kind of stone it is. It’s a pale green color, not really transparent but of quartz-like hardness. I guess I would characterize it as slightly translucent. Here, I used a thicker wire, and used the wire’s greater stiffness to create an open-basket shape with a spiral at one end and a loop for a string on the other. I don’t feel that this design is really strong enough for a necklace, though, unless I’m prepared to lose the stone. So I tried again a third time.
And this was the third try. This time it was a carnelian, one of the sacred stones of Egypt (along with lapis lazuli, jasper, turquoise [this doesn’t sound right], and malachite. There may be others, or my information may be wrong… but this is what I’m working with from seeing the King Tut exhibit in around 1979 when it came to the Met in New York City.)
This time I took two scraps from my work with the heavier wire on the aventurine piece, and bent them into two loops or fish shapes. I then wrapped the lighter wire around the two to create a stable base for the stone. This lighter-gauge wire was long enough that when I felt like the two loops of larger wire were stable, I went right into stone wrapping. Eventually, it seemed like the stone was secure. Then the needle-nose pliers bent the wire in a few strategic spots to gather and tighten the wire around the stone. I ended by building a loop at the top, and doing a bit of light sanding and buffing with a Dremel tool to clean up the clipped ends of the wires.
I consecrated the three stones this morning during my druidic practices. The ordinary stone I intend to use in a larger project, so I don’t want to say that much about that one. The other two are going to be gifts for people; the aventurine I charged according to its traditional uses as a stone of luck and eloquence, and as an amplifier of decision-making and leadership qualities. The carnelian I also consecrated according to its traditional uses, for boldness, quickness, and cleverness. It is a stone of motivation and endurance, according to the research I found.
In English-speaking magic, we usually use the term “charge” these days to mean energize or load-up, as we would with a battery. But I think it’s useful to consider some alternative meanings. For example, we can use the term charge as a verb in heraldry, as in to paint or adorn a specific logo or sigil or item on an object. We can also use charge in a legal sense, as in a formal accusation against someone or some thing. W e can entrust a duty or a responsibility to someone, as in “I charge this committee with the task of finding a solution to problem X.” We can pay for something with a charge card, or charge someone for the purchase of an item.
I chose to think of this term in the sense of charging the stones with a particular set of responsibilities, as well as loading them up like a battery. I think I have to make a couple more of these objects, because they’re fun to make and they’ll make useful presents to give to people, both with an energetic signature and without. Yet even more importantly, from my perspective, is the tremendous internal joy I feel from teaching myself a new skill and being moderately successful at it the first time wheeling it out. This is the basis of nearly all my success as a teacher, too: finding and using the available resources to learn a new skill, and then putting those new skills to work.
It’s always nice when those skills succeed, and it makes me feel — and act — more magically in the future.
Nota Bene: I’m going to be skipping challenges 9 (use a single herb) and 10 (brew a potion) over the weekend due to time pressures, but I will be doing Monday’s (use a specific color focus) and Tuesday’s (use a seal, e.g., of Solomon) challenges instead for the weekend. And then on Monday and Tuesday, I’ll be doing the two challenges I skipped. Just so you know.