Here’s my lesson plan for my history classes today:
- Go over class rules.
- School’s official homework header
- Grab a history book from the back shelf
- Copy a sentence from the book.
- Turn in the page.
- “This is plagiarism. You’ve turned in someone else’s writing as your own, and even if you copied it out by hand, it’s still claiming that you did original work.”
- Discuss plagiarism and academic dishonesty.
- “here’s how to fix it.”
- Turn back the homework.
- How to footnote.
- How to create a bibliography.
Will I have to repeat this lesson? Absolutely. Will they get it right the first time? Almost certainly not. Is it a good way to begin? I think so… they go on from here to hoity-toity private schools and high-end public schools. They should know enough not to get thrown out for academic dishonesty.