This is a meme of 10 Things You Love that begin with a certain letter. My letter is “D”, given to me by
1. Dairy. I have to learn how to make cheese form local milk. Even if the rules say that I can’t sell it, I want to be able to fill my fridge with local cheeses to give away to my friends. The New England Cheesemaking Supply Company runs classes. Anyone want to go?
2. Dialogue. I really like sitting around engaging in long, deep conversations that last until three in the morning. I feel like those conversations are places where my head and heart get changed, and I really miss having them on a regular basis.
3. Division. Because being able to do one of the four basic operations of mathematics is really cool. It makes possible risk management and time management and all sorts of other lovely things.
4. Daleks. I don’t really love them, because they’re incredibly evil, but it’s an opportunity to have the Doctor show up. Why not just put the Doctor on this D list? Because he’s THE Doctor, and that begins with T.
5. Debtless Living. I have one bill for $67.50 that I need to pay. Other than that, I currently have no credit-card debt, no student loans, and owe no one any money. It feels good, paying for things with cash I know have, rather than credit that may vanish.
6. Dancing. If you’d told me ten years ago I’d be dancing with the pagans at their Dionysian rites around bonfires, I’d have laughed. Now I can’t imagine life without it.
7. Drumming. I love listening to West African drumming, love participating in it, love dancing to it.
8. Drawing. I wish I were better at it, but being better is largely a matter of practice. Some of the stuff Dave Gray has done on visual thinking has been tremendously helpful to me.
9. Deep Economics. The idea of needing to go back to strong local economies based on agriculture and extreme attentiveness to the land is powerful to me, even if I’m not about to drop everything to run a Polyface Farm-style operation.
10. Dungeons and Dragons. I still like game-mastering and running (and creating) dungeons and the worlds around them.
If you’d like a letter of your own, drop me a note, and I’ll provide you with an element of alphabetical goodness of your very own.