I’ve spent a fair amount of time at pottery in the last two days.
On Tuesday I finished my two-part piece. Our teacher at Sawmill Pottery, Dot, explained how if you’re not a good enough wheel-thrower, you can throw two separate pieces, and then slip-n-score them together so that they will adhere to one another and make a single piece. Last Tuesday, I threw the upper and lower parts of a pitcher (the top of my pitcher was not very good), and then on Tuesday I adhered the two pieces together (badly), and tried to re-throw them into one piece. I wound up having to use a couple of coils of clay on the inside to make the two halves connect. I also glazed four pieces. If they survive the kiln, that will make nine pieces in eight weeks that I’ve successfully shepherded through the whole ceramics process.
Yesterday, I went over and threw six pounds of clay — in six separate one-pound lumps. I’m not really good enough to handle six pounds of clay at once. Three is about my limit, I’m discovering; four on a really good day, which I don’t have many of. wanted a “breakfast” set, so I threw a cup, a mug, a plate, and three bowls. She likes the raspberry glaze and the turbulent indigo, so I may fire them using some combination of those, or I may go with an underglaze painted design. We’ll see.